EL DORADO COUNTY AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
RULE 218 - PERCHLOROETHYLENE DRY CLEANING OPERATIONS
Effective November 10, 1980, a person shall not operate any dry cleaning equipment which uses perchloroethylene
unless all of the following requirements are satisfied:
- Any solvent liquid or solvent vapor leaks shall be repaired immediately.
- The residue from a solvent still shall not contain more than 0.6 kg. of solvent per kg. of wet waste.
- The used filtration cartridges shall be put in the filter housing and drained there for at least 24 hours provided
that they are dried in a closed container which is vented to a control device approved by the APCO.
- The used diatomaceous earth filters shall be cooked or treated so that the residue contains no more than 0.25kg.
of solvent per kg. of wet waste.
- Any other filtration or distillation system can be used if it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the
APCO that it reduced waste losses below 0.01 kg. per kg. of clothes.
- The waste containing perchloroethylene shall be stored in sealed containers.