FEATHER RIVER AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
RULE 3.18 - STANDARDS FOR MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE LANDFILLS
The purpose of this rule is to limit nonmethane organic compound (NMOC) emissions for existing municipal solid waste (MSW) landfills by implementing the provisions of 40 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 60, Subpart Cc--Emission Guidelines and Compliance Times for MSW Landfills.
This rule applies to all existing MSW landfills for which construction, reconstruction, or modification was commenced before May 30, 1991 and which has accepted waste at any time since November 8, 1987 or has additional design capacity available for future waste deposition.
Any MSW landfill subject to the requirements of New Source Performance Standard Subpart WWW-Standards for Municipal Solid Waste Landfills (40 CFR Part 60.750) is exempt from the requirements of this rule.
Terms used but not defined in this rule have the meaning given them in 40 CFR Part 60.751 (Definitions).
D.1 Administrator The Air Pollution Control Officer (APCO) of the Feather River Air Quality Management District (District), except that the APCO shall not be empowered to approve alternative or equivalent test methods, alternative standards or alternative work practices unless included in the site specific design plan as provided in 40 CFR Section 60.752(b)(2)(i).
D.2 Design plan or plan The site-specific design plan for the gas collection and control system submitted under section (F.2c.) of this rule.
E. EFFECTIVE DATE
The effective date of this rule shall be (date of rule adoption).
F.1 Any MSW landfill with a design capacity less than 2.5 million megagrams by mass or 2.5 million cubic meters by volume shall meet the requirements of Section F.2a. of this rule.
F.2 Any MSW landfill with a design capacity equal to or greater than 2.5 million megagrams by mass or 2.5 million cubic meters by volume and a NMOC emission rate of 50 megagrams per year or more, as calculated pursuant to 40 CFR 60.754 (Test Methods and Procedures) shall meet the following requirements:
- Submit an initial design capacity report and amended design capacity report as specified in 40 CFR 60.752 (Standards for Air Emissions from MSW Landfills). Any density conversions shall be documented and submitted with the report.
- Install a collection and control system meeting the conditions provided in 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(ii) and (iii), except as provided in section F.2 c.3. of this rule.
- Submit a site-specific collection and control system design plan to the APCO as provided under 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(i).
- The design plan shall include any alternatives to the operational standards, test methods, procedures, compliance measures, monitoring, recordkeeping or reporting provisions of 40 CFR 60.753 through 60.758.
- The APCO shall review and either approve or disapprove the plan, or request that additional information be submitted. The design plan shall either conform with specifications for active collection systems in 40 CFR 60.759 or include a demonstration to the APCO=s satisfaction of the sufficiency of the alternative provisions to 40 CFR 60.759. The design plan may include alternatives as specified in 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(1)(i)(B).
- The design plan shall provide for the control of collected MSW landfill emissions through the use of a collection and control system meeting the collection and control system requirements of 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(ii) and (iii) except that paragraphs (b)(2)(ii)(B) and (b)(2)(iii)(A) of 40 CFR 60.752 concerning the use of passive collection systems and open flares do not apply to MSW landfills subject to this rule. Sources shall route all collected gas to a collection and control system that complies with the requirements of 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(ii)(A) for active collection systems or 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(iii)(B) or (C), concerning control devices and treatment systems other than an open flare.
- Each MSW landfill required to install a gas collection and control system under this section shall meet the operational standards in 40 CFR 60.753, the compliance provisions in 40 CFR 60.755 and the monitoring provisions in 40 CFR 60.756, except that the APCO may approve alternatives in the design plan as provided in section F.2 c.2. of this rule.
G. RECORDKEEPING AND REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
The owner or operator of each MSW landfill shall meet the recordkeeping and reporting requirements of 40 CFR 60.757 and 40 CFR 60.758, as applicable, except that the APCO may approve alternative recordkeeping and reporting provisions as provided in section F.2 c.2. of this rule. Any records or reports required to be submitted pursuant to 40 CFR 60.757 or 40 CFR 60.578 shall be submitted to the APCO.
H. COMPLIANCE SCHEDULE
H.1 The design capacity and the NMOC emission reports required pursuant to 40 CFR 60.752 and 40 CFR 60.754 shall be submitted within ninety (90) days of the effective date of this rule.
H.2 The site-specific collection and control system design plan required under section F.2 c. of this rule shall be submitted within one year after determining that the MSW landfill has a NMOC emission rate equal to or greater than fifty (50) megagrams per year.
H.3 The planning, awarding of contracts, and installation of the collection and control equipment required pursuant to section F.2. of this rule shall be accomplished within thirty (30) months after the effective date of this rule.
H.4 The initial performance test of the collection and control system equipment shall be accomplished within six (6) months of control system startup.