LASSEN COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 1:2 - DEFINITIONS
Except as otherwise specifically provided in these rules and, except where the context otherwise indicates,
words used in these rules are used in exactly the same sense as they are used in the Health and Safety Code.
- Agricultural Burning. Open outdoor fires used in agricultural operations in the growing of crops or
raising of fowl or animals, forest management, range improvement, the improvement of land for wildlife and game
habitat, disease or pest prevention, or the maintenance of a system for delivery of water used in agricultural
- Air Contaminant."Air Contaminant" includes smoke, charred paper, dust, soot, grime, carbon,
aerosols, noxious acids, fumes, gases, odors, or particulate matter, or any combination thereof.
- Atmosphere. "Atmosphere" means the air that envelopes or surrounds the earth.
- Board. "Board" means the Air Pollution Control Board of the Lassen County Air Pollution Control
District, which is the Board of Supervisors.
- Combustible Waste. "Combustible Waste" is any solid or liquid combustible waste material containing
carbon in a free or combined state.
- Combustion Contaminants. "Combustion Contaminants" are particulate matter discharged into
the atmosphere from the burning of any kind of material containing carbon in a free or combined state.
- Control Officer. "Control Officer" means the Air Pollution Control Officer of the Lassen County
Air Pollution Control District.
- District."District" is the Lassen County Air Pollution Control District.
- Hearing Board. "Hearing Board" means the Hearing Board of the Lassen County Air Pollution
- Incinerator. "Incinerator" means any furnace or similar enclosed fire chamber, with or without
draft control, used for burning refuse or other waste material.
- Institutional Facility. "Institutional Facility" means any hospital, boarding home, school,
corporation yard, or like facility.
- Multiple Chamber Incinerator. "Multiple Chamber Incinerator" is any article, machine, equipment,
contrivance, structure or any part of a structure used to dispose of combustible refuse by burning consisting of
three or more refractory line chambers in series, physically separated by refractory walls, interconnected by gas
passage ports or ducts, and employing adequate design parameters necessary for maximum combustion of the material
to be burned. The refractors shall have a pyrometric cone equivalent of at least 17, tested according to the method
described in the American Society for Testing and Materials, method C-24.
- Open Outdoor Fire. "Open Outdoor Fire" as used in this regulation means complete or partial
burning or smoldering of any combustible refuse or other material of any type directly exposed to the atmosphere,
whether or not enclosed in a fireproof container, where the products of combustion are not channeled through a
- Particulate Matter. "Particulate Matter" is any material, except uncombined water, which exists
in a finely divided form as a liquid or solid at standard conditions.
- Person. "Person" means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business
trust, corporation, company, contractor, supplier, installer, user or owner, or any state or local governmental
agency or public district or any officer of employee thereof.
- Process Weight Rate. "Process Weight Rate" is the total weight, including contained moisture,
of all materials introduced into any specific process which may cause the emission of any pollutants into the atmosphere.
Solid fuels will be considered to be part of the process weight, but liquid and gaseous fuels and combustion air
will not. The process weight rate will be derived by dividing the total process weight by the number of hours in
one complete operation from the beginning of any given process to the completion thereof, excluding any time during
which the equipment is idle.
- Regulation. "Regulation" means one of the major sub-divisions of the Rules of the Lassen County
Air Pollution Control District.
- Residential Rubbish. "Residential Rubbish" means refuse originating from residential uses
and includes wood, paper, cloth, cardboard, tree trimmings, leaves, lawn clipping, and dry plants.
- Rule. "Rule" means a rule of the Lassen County Air Pollution Control District.
- Section. "Section" means section of the Health and Safety Code of the State of California
unless some other statute is specifically mentioned.
- Standard Conditions. "Standard Conditions" as used in these regulations are a gas temperature
of 60 degrees Fahrenheit and a gas pressure of 14.7 pounds per square inch absolute. Results of all analyses and
tests shall be calculated and reported at this gas temperature and pressure.
- Variance. "Variance" means an authorization by the Hearing Board to permit some act contrary
to the requirements specified by these rules and regulations.
- Shall and May. When used in these Rules and Regulations, "Shall" is mandatory, "May"