NORTHERN SONOMA COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 420 - FUEL LIMITATIONS AND PROHIBITIONS
A. Moisture content limit for seasoned wood
- No person shall sell, offer for sale, or supply any wood which is orally, or in
writing, advertised, described, or in any way represented to be "seasoned" or "dry" wood unless
the wood has a moisture content of 20 percent or less by weight on a wet basis.
- The Air Pollution Control Officer shall specify the procedures to measure wood
moisture content and the appropriate wood moisture measuring device to be used to determine compliance with the
provisions of subsection 420.A.1. Such test procedures shall include ASTM test method D4442-84 or wood moisture
test meter as identified by the officer. A violation as determined by any of the above test methods shall be considered
a violation of the rule.
- The Air Pollution Control Officer may delegate to another person or agency the
authority to test wood for moisture content and determine compliance with Rule 420.A.1.
B. Prohibited fuel types
Except for commercial products expressly manufactured for starting a fire in a wood fired applicance, no person
shall cause, or allow, any of the following materials to be burned in a wood fired appliance:
- treated wood,
- plastic products,
- rubber products,
- waste petroleum products,
- paints and paint solvents, and