PLACER COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 224 - AGGREGATE CONTAINING ASBESTOS
- No person shall use aggregate containing asbestos in any application or use except as provided in this Rule.
- This Rule shall not apply to the use of aggregate containing asbestos if it is used:
- In a manner where the aggregate is permanently buried or sealed; or
- As a road base where the surface and edge berms are to be permanently sealed with asphaltic concrete, concrete,
chip seal, (or other methods approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer), and the public is not allowed access
to the road prior to its being sealed.
- This Rule shall not apply to private right-of-ways, including but not limited to, roads, streets and pathways
constructed prior to April 1, 1986.
- This Rule shall not apply to right-of-ways which are comprised of aggregate containing asbestos that the Air
Pollution Control Officer determines not to be a threat to human health. Such determination shall be made by a
health risk assessment methodology approved by the California Department of Health Services.
- For the purpose of this Rule, "asbestos" means the asbestiform varieties of serpentine (chrysotile),
riebeckite (crocidolite), cummingtonite-grunerite (amosite), anthophyllite, and actinolite-tremolite.
- Methods used to determine the asbestos content of aggregate samples shall be determined by the Air Pollution