SANTA BARBARA COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 329 - CUTBACK AND EMULSIFIED ASPHALT PAVING MATERIALS
(Adopted 6/11/1979, revised 2/25/1992)
The provisions of this rule shall apply to the manufacture, application and sale of cutback and emulsified asphalt materials for the paving, construction and maintenance of streets, highways, parking lots and driveways.
The provisions of this rule shall not apply to cutback asphalt manufactured in the District for shipment and use outside the District.
2. "Cutback asphalt" means paving grade asphalts liquified with petroleum distillate and as further defined by American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications as follows:
Medium Cure Type: ASTM D2027
Slow Cure Type: ASTM D2026
4. "Emulsified asphalt" means any asphalt liquified with water containing an emulsifier. The two kinds of emulsions most pertinent are the anionic and cationic types.
5. "Penetrating prime coat" means any application of asphalt to an absorptive surface to penetrate and bind the aggregate surface and promote adhesion between it and the new superimposed construction. Prime coats do not include dust palliatives or tack coats.
6. "Road oils" shall be synonymous with slow cure asphalts.
7. "Tack coat" means any application of asphalt applied to an existing surface to provide a bond between new surfacing and existing surface to eliminate slippage planes where the new and existing surfaces meet.
2. A person shall not sell, offer for sale, use or apply for paving, construction or maintenance of parking lots, driveways, streets or highways, any emulsified asphalt material which contains more than 3.0 percent by volume ROC's, which evaporate at 260 degrees celsius (500 degrees Fahrenheit) or less.
Any person who manufactures or uses cutback asphalts and emulsified asphalts which contain solvents shall comply with the following requirements:
2. Such records shall be retained and made available for inspection by the District for a period of two years.
F. Test Methods
2. Samples of emulsified asphalt containing ROC as specified in Section D.2 shall be analyzed in accordance with ASTM Distillation Method D244.
G. Compliance Schedule
2. Any person who uses cutback or emulsified asphalt within Santa Barbara County shall comply with Sections D.1 and D.2 by May 25, 1992, provided that materials not in compliance with Sectins D.1 and D.2 used before that date were purchased prior to February 25, 1992.