SANTA BARBARA COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 341 - MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE LANDFILLS
This rule applies to all municipal solid waste landfills meeting the following conditions:
- construction, reconstruction, or modification was commenced before May 30, 1991; and
- the municipal solid waste landfill has accepted waste at any time since November 8, 1987 or has additional
design capacity available for future waste deposition.
The provisions of this rule shall not apply to any municipal solid waste Landfill that is subject to the requirements
of the New Source Performance Standard Subpart WWW - Standards of Performance for Municipal Solid Waste.
The definitions of 40 CFR 60.751 ("Definitions") shall apply to this Rule, except:
"Administrator," for the purpose of this rule, means the Control Officer except the Control Officer
shall not be empowered to approve:
- alternate or equivalent test methods, alternative standards; or
- alternate work practices unless included in the site specific design plan as provided in 40 CFR 60.752 (b)(2)(i).
"Design plan or plan" means the site-specific design plan for the gas collection and control system
submitted under section D.3 of this rule.
D. Requirements - Standards
- Each owner or operator of a municipal solid waste landfill with a design capacity equal to or greater than
2.5 million megagrams or 2.5 million cubic meters, and a non-methane organic compound emission rate of 50 megagrams
per year or more, as calculated pursuant to 40 CFR 60.754 (Test Methods and Procedures), shall install a collection
and control system meeting the conditions provided in 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(ii) and (iii), except as provided in
section D.5 of this rule. The landfill owner or operator may calculate design capacity in either megagrams or cubic
meters for comparison with the exemption values. Any density conversions shall be documented and submitted with
- The owner or operator of each municipal solid waste landfill shall submit an initial design capacity report
and amended design capacity report as specified in 40 CFR 60.752 (Standards for Air Emissions from Municipal Solid
Waste Landfills). Any density conversions shall be documented and submitted with the report.
- The owner or operator shall submit a site-specific collection and control design plan to the Control Officer
as provided under 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(i).
- The design plan shall include any alternatives to the operational standards, test methods, procedures, compliance
measures, monitoring, recordkeeping or reporting provisions of 40 CFR 60.753 through 60.758. Alternatives to operational
standards and test methods must be approved by the Environmental Protection Agency in addition to approval by the
- The Control Officer shall review and either approve or disapprove the plan or request that additional information
be submitted. The design plan shall either conform with specifications for active collection systems in 40 CFR
60.759 or include a demonstration to the Control Officer’s satisfaction of the sufficiency of the alternative provisions
to 40 CFR 60.759. The design plan may include alternatives as specified in 40 CFR 60.752(b)(2)(i)(B).
- Each municipal solid waste landfill required to install a gas collection and control system under this section
shall meet the operational standards in 40 CFR 60.753 and the compliance provisions of 40 CFR 60.755 except that
the Control Officer may approve alternative operational standards and compliance provisions included in the design
plan as provided in section D.5 of this rule.
E. Requirements - Monitoring
Each municipal solid waste landfill required to install a gas collection and control system under this section
shall meet the monitoring provisions in 40 CFR 60.756, except that the Control Officer may approve alternative
monitoring provisions included in the design plan as provided in section D.5 of this rule.
F. Requirements - Recordkeeping and Reporting
The owner or operator of each municipal solid waste landfill shall meet the recordkeeping and reporting requirements
of 40 CFR 60.757 and 40 CFR 60.758, as applicable, except that the Control Officer may approve alternative recordkeeping
and reporting provisions as provided in section D.5 of this rule. Any records or reports required to be submitted
pursuant to 40 CFR 60.757 or 40 CFR 60.758 shall be submitted to the Control Officer.
G. Compliance Schedule:
- The design capacity and the non-methane organic compounds emissions reports required pursuant to 40 CFR 60.752
and 40 CFR 60.754 shall be submitted by December 17, 1997.
- The site-specific collection and control system design plan required under section D.3 of this rule shall be
submitted within one year after determining that the municipal solid waste landfill has a non-methane organic compounds
emission rate equal to or greater then 50 megagrams per year.
- The planning, awarding of contracts, and installation of the collection and control equipment required pursuant
to section D.1 of this rule shall be accomplished by March 18, 2000, or within thirty (30) months after meeting
the condition in section D.1
- The initial performance test of the collection and control system equipment shall be accomplished within six
(6) months of control system startup.