Fall 2000 Corcoran Nephelometer Network
Corcoran Network Overview
Click image to enlarge
The following text is the planning version of fall network site purposes. It has not updated to reflect final minor changes in actual site placement. It is provided as a reflection of the experiments intended for inclusion in the project. A post project revised description will be developed as part of project analysis reporting.
CRPAQS Fall NETWORK ENHANCEMENTS,
location description and monitoring equipment
This list includes:
CORCORAN ANCHOR SITE:
COP: Patterson anchor site (District site). PM10 and PM2.5 BAM, seven-color aethalometer, radiance Nephelometer, continuous nitrate, 5-minute average meteorology, Teflon, quartz, and Nuclepore Minivols FIXED (6 Minivols to allow daily sampling three operated each day).
All satellite site locations in the following list are proposed, subject to change based upon recommendations of the Technical and Policy Committees or siting recommendations provided by the field program manager or practical considerations encountered by the contractor in obtaining site access. Site names may be changed to avoid duplication of site names selected for the annual CRPAQS or CCOS networks.
Sub-Regional Gradient Sites:
1. Laton: Sub-regional gradient in rural area north of Laton between Selma and Hanford (preferred location: along Fowler Street but away from the railroad, this area is generally farmland). Nephelometer
2. HAN - Irwin Street. Hanford backbone site to represent increment caused by Hanford emissions. Co-locate with District site if possible. Nephelometer, Teflon, quartz, and Nuclepore Minivols FIXED (6 Minivols to allow daily sampling,).
3. Canal: Sub-regional gradient in rural area between Hanford and Corcoran (preferred location: 7th Avenue south of Houston, away from dairies, near Kent road if possible, this area is generally farmland, alternate location possibility: south of Kansas on 6th Avenue, an area of less cultivated land with natural vegetation, an existing tower on 6th just south of Kansas may be a possible location). Nephelometer
Corcoran Focus sites:
Nephelometer sites surrounding the COP Anchor site to evaluate area of influence, source origin direction, and event dynamics for PM10 episodes observed at COP. Compass points provided by DAIP (discussed later on list), COPN, COPW, COPS, COV, and COPE.
4. COPN: Zone of representation site in neighborhood ~200 m north of COP. Nephelometer.
5. COPW: Zone of representation site in neighborhood ~200 m west of COP. Nephelometer.
6. COPE: Zone of representation site in neighborhood ~200 m east of COP. Nephelometer.
7. COPS: Zone of representation site in neighborhood ~200 m south of COP. Nephelometer.
8. COV: Old Van Dorsten Site, for correspondence to IMS95 and southeast of COP. Nephelometer.
Nephelometer sites surrounding the GRA satellite site to evaluate area of influence, source origin direction, and event dynamics for PM10 episodes observed at IMS C05 peak site, centered at the core of the Corcoran Industrial area for source detection. Compass points provided by YOD (IMS95 C06 second highest site), GRAN, GRAW, GRAS, GRAE, and C05.
9. GRA. Mixed industrial source site west of 76 fueling station in midst of grain elevators on east side of tracks. Nephelometer, Teflon, quartz, and nuclepore, Minivol, FIXED (6 Minivols to allow daily sampling).
10. GRAS. Source zone of influence site ~200 m south of GRA. Nephelometer, Teflon, quartz, and Nuclepore Minivols Movable (6 Minivols to allow daily sampling). Install brackets to move to GRAW, GRAN or YOD and GRAE as the study progresses (unless Nephelometer data contraindicates). After data objectives met at GRAS (one to two weeks of sampling during moderate to high Nephelometer readings) move to GRAW, then GRAN or YOD, then GRAE for sampling of up to one week at each site, as appropriate according to Nephelometer readings and other forecasting factors.
11. C05. Sherman and Pickerell IMS95 site near unpaved shoulder and tracks. Nephelometer. Fixed 2 Teflon Minivols to provide correlation to IMS95 C05 highest site. GRA Minivol package and rotation of GRAS Minivol package should provide sufficient speciation in this area.
12. GRAW. Source zone of influence site ~200 m west of GRA. Nephelometer.
13. GRAN. Source zone of influence site ~200 m north of GRA. Location between YOD and GRA if possible to differentiate between C06 and C05 sources, if different. Nephelometer. Will receive Movable set of 6 Minivols from GRAS unless Nephelometer readings at YOD are consistently higher
14. YOD: Near the IM95 C06 site. Nephelometer, Fixed 2 Teflon Minivols (2 Minivols to allow daily sampling for mass and babs, one Minivol operated each day) to provide correlation to IMS95 C06 second highest site. May receive package of six Minivols from GRAS if Nephelometer readings are consistently higher than GRAN.
15. GRAE. Source zone of influence site ~200 m east of GRA. Nephelometer.
Sampling to observe emission patterns and intensity along a road that transitions from paved to unpaved shoulders. Also comparison in the same community to a moderate travel highway.
17. DAIU: East side of Dairy Rd., along unpaved shoulder, on the same side of the street as DAIP, preferably east of the road. Nephelometer. Minivols to provide speciation of samples for differentiation with DAIP. Also serves as an intra-urban northwest upwind site for COP Anchor site, but unpaved shoulders and relatively heavy travel may make NIL (described later) a better background site. FIXED 2 Teflon Minivols
18. DAIP: East side of Dairy Rd., ~200 south of DAIU but 100 m south of where curbing begins, on the same side of the street as DAIU, preferably east of the road. Nephelometer. Minivols to provide speciation of samples for differentiation with DAIU. Also serves as a northwest upwind site for COP Anchor site. FIXED 2 Teflon Minivols.
19. H43. Highway source site, east side of SR 43 near airport. Main urban downwind site with speciation to differentiate highway and urban sources. Nephelometer, Movable (6 Minivols to allow daily sampling). Teflon, quartz, and Nuclepore Minivols. Move only if readings are consistently low or a significant opportunity arises from evaluation of Nephelometer readings in the network.
Upwind, intra-urban boundary, gradient and downwind Nephelometer sites:
20. NIL. Upwind site on Niles near 6.25 road. Serves as an upwind for the DAIU - DAIP road measurements and the entire Corcoran urban area. Nephelometer.
21. BEL: Bell St. IMS95 neighborhood/western periphery site. Nephelometer.
22. OTT. Source zone of influence site. Similar to C11 in IMS 95, but a little closer to the southern edge of Corcoran. Nephelometer.
23. ORE. Oregon Street, neighborhood gradient site. FIXED 2 Teflon Minivols due to limit on number of available Nephelometers. Considered least vital site for time resolution data.
24. SHE. Sherman Street, neighborhood gradient site near an IMS 95 site location, helps define east to west urban gradient. Nephelometer.
25. SPE. Spear Street, neighborhood gradient site, Nephelometer.
Map of Corcoran Sites:
For questions regarding web content, visualization, and CRPAQS analysis contact
For questions regarding CRPAQS, data acquisition, and CRPAQS analysis contact