The California Air Resources Board proudly presents a FREE event for small businesses!
Taking Advantage of the Growing Green Economy
Real People. Real Solutions. Real Opportunities!
The FREE interactive one day workshop for small businesses held in conjunction with the Green California Summit has come and gone, but the presentations and handouts can be accessed below.
Also, we value your input, comments, and suggestions to continually improve our workshops.
Please take a moment to complete this evaluation form to help us meet your needs in the future.
March 16, 2010
9:30 am - 4:00 pm
1400 "J" Street
PURPOSE OF THE WORKSHOP
- This interactive workshop featured small business owners talking about their real world experiences going green;
- Local service providers talked about their specific programs that can help reduce costs and increase revenue;
- Business advisors provided a detailed description of the opportunities that small businesses have in the growing California green economy;
- The Small Business Toolkit, an extensive resource that is FREE and available 24/7 will help you reduce energy and fuel costs, buy green products, save water, and recycle;
- Attendees received a package of resources and assistance that can help you reduce your bottom line and benefit from numerous green economic development efforts.
All business owners, managers, and staff who want to learn about improving their bottom line by greening their businesses. Business to business discussions will present ways to cut operational costs, increase revenue, access funding, and assist you through the process.
interactive workshop featured a panel of small business
owners talking about their experiences saving money by reducing energy
and fuel costs, improving their businesses by “greening” their
products and services, and sharing their experiences of
becoming part of the expanding green economy.
The second panel included
business advisors discussing California’s green economy and provided
examples and suggestions of how businesses can take advantage of this
strong and growing sector of the economy. Businesses learned
how to shape
the healthy future of their business by using the programs, support,
and funds available to green businesses.
After lunch ARB staff presented a hands-on demonstration of the Small Business Toolkit – a free, easy to access, website available at CoolCalifornia.org This is one of the most comprehensive resources available to small businesses interested in saving money by going green and/or guiding their existing or future business into the green economy.
The final panel featured community-based assistance
programs that can provide a
wide variety of help to businesses. Many communities have Green
Business Certification Programs on-site and
assistance, videos and case studies/fact sheets that provide real
life experiences of businesses just like yours that have gone
The day ended with an informal networking reception where small businesses met with other business leaders, owners, service providers, and representatives to talk about the benefits of the growing green economy.
- Stefan Muhle – Orchard Hotel
- Thomas Ackerman – Spirit Graphics
- Bill Wygal – Bill’s Ace Hardware
- Tracey Grose – Collaborative Economics
- Spencer Brown – Rent a Green Box
- Kristine Mazzei – Green Capital Alliance
- ARB staff demonstration of the CoolCalifornia.org web-based small business toolkit
- Duane O’ Donnell – Business Environmental Resource Center - Sacramento Sustainable Business Program
- Jo Fleming – California’s Certified Green Business Programs
- Panda Morgan – Northeastern California Small Business Development Center
- Hank Ryan – Small Business California
- Climate Change Program Newsletter - Winter 2010
- Small Business Brochure - ARB
- Save Money and Energy - CoolCalifornia
- Small Business Toolkit Flyer
- Local Government Toolkit Flyer
- ARB's Office of the Ombudsman - Business Assistance
- Refrigerant Management Program - Fact Sheet
- Truck and Bus Regulation Reducing Emissions from Existing Diesel Vehicles - Fact Sheet