HFC Emission Reduction Measures for Mobile Air Conditioning - Regulation for Small Containers of Automotive Refrigerant
This page last reviewed February 10, 2016
In January 2009 the Board approved the mobile air conditioning (MAC) regulation to reduce emissions associated with the use of small containers of automotive refrigerant. Do-it-yourself (DIY) practitioners can purchase HFC-134a refrigerant in small containers holding between 2 ounces and 2 pounds of refrigerant to recharge their MAC system. Typically a traditional container is not fully emptied during the recharging process since the air conditioning system may only require a portion of the container and due to incorrect technique by DIY users. With a traditionally designed container, any unused refrigerant is almost immediately vented to the atmosphere.
This regulation applies to the sale, use, and disposal of small containers of automotive refrigerant with a GWP greater than 150. The regulation achieves emission reductions through implementation of four requirements: 1) use of a self-sealing valve on the container, 2) improved labeling instructions, 3) a deposit and recycling program for small containers, and 4) an education program that emphasizes best practices for vehicle recharging. This regulation went into effect on January 1, 2010 with a one-year sell-through period for containers manufactured before January 1, 2010. The target recycle rate is initially set at 90%, and rises to 95% beginning January 1, 2012.
ATTENTION CALIFORNIA RETAILERS OF SMALL CONTAINERS OF AUTOMOTIVE REFRIGERANT!
Summer is coming, and with the warmer weather, sales of small cans of automotive refrigerant will increase. These products are regulated in California, and retailers selling them must ensure that all requirements pertaining to the sales of certified products are met. Penalties may be assessed for any violation of this regulation pursuant to the Health and Safety Code. The requirements for California retailers are available at this LINK.
Annual Reporting Forms (PDF - 1,721KB)
PLEASE NOTICE: The deadline for the annual reporting for manufacturers, distributors, and retailers is March 1, 2016 for calendar year 2015. Please fill out the appropriate forms and return via email attachment to Winston Potts, P.E. or mail to the address listed in the forms.
The deposit amount will remain at $10 until the next evaluation of the average return rate in 2014.
- Executive Order (PDF - 141KB)
Executive Orders Relating to Certification of Small Containers of Automotive Refrigerant
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase I) (PDF - 260KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase II) (PDF - 221KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase III) (PDF - 189KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase IV) (PDF - 195KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase V) (PDF - 175KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase VI) (PDF - 144KB)
- Executive Order for IDQ Products (Phase VII) (PDF - 138KB)
- Executive Order for Technical Chemical Company Products (Phase I) (PDF - 187KB)
- Executive Order for Technical Chemical Company Products (Phase II) (PDF - 383KB)
- Executive Order for Technical Chemical Company Products (Phase III) (PDF - 569KB)
- Executive Order for Technical Chemical Company Products (Phase IV) (PDF - 146KB)
- Executive Order for Aerospace Communications Holdings, Company, Limited, Products (Phase I) (PDF - 150KB)
- Executive Order for TSI Products, Inc., Products (Phase I) (PDF - 192KB)
Final Regulation (PDF - 55KB)
- Retailer Advisory - Returned Product Containers (PDF - 23KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF - 218KB)
- Retailer Requirements Fact Sheet (PDF - 212KB)
- Regulatory Advisory for Distributors (PDF - 19KB)
- Consumer Requirements Fact Sheet (English/Spanish) (PDF - 206KB)