California Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory - 2015 Edition
|2015 Edition of the GHG Emission Inventory Released (June 2015)|
| GHG emissions from 2000 to 2013 are
now available. Links to data and documentation can be found below.
Carbon dioxide equivalent values are calculated using the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report Global Warming Potential values. More information.
The greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventory provides estimates of the amount of GHGs emitted within California. The Air Resources Board is responsible for maintaining and updating California's GHG Inventory per H&SC §39607.4 in support of AB 32 goals and programs. The GHG inventory focuses on primarily anthropogenic sources. Natural sources are not included in the inventory.
The inventory includes estimates for carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and fluorinated gases with high global warming potentials which includes sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3). An updated emission inventory is published annually to include additional years and improved estimation methods. Archives of all previous inventory data and documentation are available on the archive page.
|Emissions by GHG||Emissions by Sector|
|Click the graph for more information|
Statewide emission estimates rely on state, regional or federal data sources, and on aggregated facility-specific emissions reports from ARB's GHG Mandatory Reporting Program (MRR). In particular, 2009 through 2013 MRR facility level data are used for compiling statewide emissions from electricity generation, refineries, cement plants, lime and nitric acid production. Calculation methodologies are consistent with the 2006 IPCC guidelines. The current inventory uses global warming potential (GWP) values from the IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, consistent with First Update to the AB32 Scoping Plan and USEPA's current national inventory. Full documentation of data sources and methods is available below or by using the detailed documentation index.
In preparation for each new edition of the inventory, recalculations are made to correct errors, incorporate new methodologies or, most commonly, to reflect changes in statistical data supplied by other agencies. Emission estimates are recalculated for all years to maintain a consistent time-series following IPCC recommendations for developing GHG inventories. Thus the new inventory may report a different emission level for an earlier year than previous inventory versions.
The California GHG inventory is categorized in three ways:
- Scoping Plan; follows the categories identified in the ARB 2008 Scoping Plan.
- Economic sectors; allows for comparison with other ARB emission inventories, which are similarly categorized.
- IPCC Process-oriented categories; follows the IPCC categorization to ensure comparability with international inventories.
Download a Summary
- 2000-2013 Inventory by Scoping Plan category - Summary [PDF-78 KB]
- 2000-2013 inventory by economic sector - Summary [PDF-88 KB]
- 2000-2013 inventory by IPCC category - Summary [PDF-109 KB]
Download the Entire Inventory
- 2000-2013 inventory by economic sector - Full Detail [PDF-513 KB]
- 2000-2013 inventory by economic sector - Full Detail [Excel-407 KB]
- 2000-2013 inventory by IPCC category - Full Detail [PDF-406 KB]
- 2000-2013 inventory by IPCC category - Full Detail [Excel-367 KB]
Query the Inventory
Query the inventory by economic sector and/or by activity. This interactive query tool allows you to select a subset of the inventory, graph it or download it to your computer. Each value also contains links to detailed methodology pages. More details on the query tool's help page.
- 2000-2013 Emissions Trends Report [PDF-746 KB]
- 2000-2013 Method Update Document [PDF-243KB] - includes only methods that have changed for the 2000-2013 inventory.
- 2000-2012 Technical Support Document [PDF-1,860KB] - methodologies for estimating GHG emissions for 2000-2012. Refer to this document for methods not included in the 2000-2013 Methodology Update Document.
Go To Detailed Documentation Index
Original (1990-2004) Inventory
GHG emissions prior to 2000 are included in the 1990-2004 GHG Emission Inventory published in November 2007 (data available in the 1990 Level & Limit section of this site). This inventory provided the basis for developing the 1990 statewide emissions level and 2020 emissions limit required by the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32).
For general questions regarding California's Greenhouse Gas Emission Inventory, please contact: Anny Huang, Manager, Emission Inventory Analysis Section, Phone: (916) 323-8475