Refrigerant Management Program
- On or after January 1, 2011, no
person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or distribute any high-GWP
refrigerant for use as a refrigerant, unless for reclamation or
destruction, in a container with a refrigerant capacity of two pounds
or greater unless:
- The buyer is a certified technician; or
- an authorized representative of a person employing at least one certified technician who is certified; or
- The refrigerant is sold only for eventual resale to a certified technician, an employer of a certified technician, or a refrigeration or air-conditioning appliance manufacturer, or the refrigerant is being sent for reclamation; or
- The refrigerant is contained in a refrigeration or air-conditioning appliance.
- No person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or distribute used refrigerant to any person for use as a refrigerant unless the used refrigerant has first been reclaimed by a certified reclaimer.
- No person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or distribute any refrigerant unless such refrigerant: (1) consists wholly of a class I or class II substance or (2) is an alternative that has been found acceptable, under the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) program for the specific refrigeration or air-conditioning end-use in which it is being employed; or (3) has been approved by the Executive Officer for the specific refrigeration or air-conditioning end-use in which it is being employed.
- No person shall recycle or dispose of a non-refillable cylinder before the non-refillable cylinder has been evacuated to a vacuum of 15 inches of mercury, relative to standard atmospheric pressure of 29.9 inches of mercury.
- No person shall distribute or sell certified refrigerant recovery or recycling equipment unless such equipment meets the levels of evacuation to be achieved by recovery or recycling equipment as specified in Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 82, §82.158.
- No person shall refill a non-refillable cylinder or use it as a temporary receiver during service.
- No person shall repair or modify a non-refillable cylinder in any way that allows the non-refillable cylinder to be refilled.
Join the Refrigerant Management Program email list for updates.
For questions on the rule or to provide feedback, please contact Refrigerant Management Program Staff at (916) 324-2517.