Refrigerant Management Program
Retrofit and Retirement
If Leak repair fails, a facility must follow the Retrofit and Retirement plan for that system, highlighted below.
- A retrofit and retirement plan is a plan to retire the equipment within six months after the initial detection of a leak if a leak cannot be repaired.
- The plan must be kept on
the site of the leaking refrigeration system and must include:
- The system identification number of the refrigeration system being retired or retrofitted.
- Equipment type, manufacturer and model or description.
- Intended physical location of the refrigeration system through schematic or floor plan with locations clearly noted.
- Temperature classification – The refrigeration system must be identified as a low temperature system, a medium temperature system, or other.
- Full charge and type of high-GWP refrigerant(s) of the refrigeration system.
- If a refrigeration system is to be retired and replaced, a plan to dispose of the retired refrigeration system.
- A timetable which
includes, at a minimum:
- The date installation, construction, or retrofit of the refrigeration system is expected to begin, and
- The expected completion date of the installation, construction, or retrofit of the refrigeration system.
- A signature by a representative of the facility, including the date signed.
For questions on the rule or to provide feedback, please contact Refrigerant Management Program Staff at (916) 324-2517.