Clean Fuels Outlet Regulation
This page last reviewed October 31, 2013
The Clean Fuels Outlet (CFO) Regulation is intended to provide outlets of clean fuel to meet the needs of those driving clean, alternative fuel vehicles. This program was initiated in 1990 and last updated in 2000. The program was originally designed with methanol, ethanol and compressed natural gas in mind to ensure that an appropriate number of fueling stations could dispense a designated fuel once a certain minimum number of vehicles using that fuel are certified in California to the Low Emission Vehicles (LEV) standard. Since this time, LEV emission standards have continuously been met with conventional fuels; but LEVs alone are not enough if California is to achieve its long-term greenhouse gas and criteria pollutant emission reduction targets. Modeling has shown that widespread penetration of zero emission vehicles (ZEV) is needed to achieve these targets. ZEVs, specifically battery-electric vehicles and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEVs), will only be successful if customers can get fuel. The greatest challenge to commercializing FCEVs is hydrogen fueling stations.Following a December 2009 board directive, staff evaluated the CFO regulation and determined that it would be an appropriate tool to spur near-term hydrogen infrastructure development. Staff proposed amendments to the CFO regulation in December 2011 as part of the Advanced Clean Cars Program, and re-noticed the proposal in February 2013. Here you will find information on the original CFO regulation and proposed amendments to ensure that hydrogen stations are built in time to support commercialization of fuel cell vehicles.
- Notice of Postponement of Public Hearing to Consider Amendements to the Clean Fuels Outlet Program
- A notice of Public Hearing and revised Initial Statement of Reasons was posted February 2013, for the proposed CFO rulemaking to be heard in June 2013.
- Emissions and Economic Data supporting the proposed rulemaking is available at the AB 1085 website for CFO
Recent Activity – Advanced Clean Cars
- The California Air Resources Board Approves Advanced Clean Car Rules press release
- Advanced Clean Cars factsheet
- Formal Regulatory Documents for the January 2012 Board hearing
- AB 1085 website for Advanced Clean Cars Emissions Data, Economic Data and Health Data
- The following documents supporting the Notice for the March 22, 2012 Hearing including the Final Regulation Order for Clean Fuels Outlet and the ARB Response to Comments on the Advanced Clean Cars Functional Equivalent Document
- Zero Emission Vehicle Program
- California’s Hydrogen Initiatives
- DRIVE – California’s Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program
- For more information about the Clean Fuels Outlet program, please contact Leslie Goodbody at (916) 323-2961.