Truck and Bus Regulation
Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation
This page last reviewed November 14, 2013
The regulation requires diesel trucks and buses that operate in California to be upgraded to reduce emissions. Heavier trucks must be retrofitted with PM filters beginning January 1, 2012, and older trucks must be replaced starting January 1, 2015. By January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will need to have 2010 model year engines or equivalent.
The regulation applies to nearly all privately and federally owned diesel fueled trucks and buses and to privately and publicly owned school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds. Small fleets with 3 or fewer diesel trucks can delay compliance for heavier trucks by reporting and there are a number of extensions for low-mileage construction trucks, early PM filter retrofits, adding cleaner vehicles, and other situations. Privately and publicly owned school buses have different requirements.
The November 13th, 2013 Mail Out MSC 13-28 is an advisory that explains how ARB will recognize specific good faith efforts that owners have made to comply with the January 1, 2014 deadline and how owners can report and take advantage of planned regulatory changes that would increase low-use thresholds, allow owners to opt-in to a number of flexibility options, and receive additional time to comply with the PM filter requirements for vehicles operated in certain areas of California. Learn more about the requirements and options on the fact sheets page.
For other information about this regulation, other diesel engine regulations, or training programs, please contact an ARB diesel representative at 866-6DIESEL (866-634-3735) or visit the Truck Stop website. This regulation does not apply to drayage trucks that transport marine containers.
Please sign up to receive email updates at the Truck and Bus Regulation Listserve.
Workshops to Discuss the Expected Regulatory Changes (November 14, 2013)
- Public workshops will be held in December to discuss proposed amendments that could provide fleets additional flexibility in complying with the regulation.
|Diamond Bar||December 3, 2013|
|Sacramento (also webcast)||December 4, 2013|
|Redding||December 5, 2013|
|San Diego||December 10, 2013|
With video link to:
Bakersfield and Modesto
|December 12, 2013|
Advisory on Good Faith Efforts and Expected Regulatory Changes (November 13, 2013)
- Mail-Out 13-28 explains how ARB will recognize specific good faith efforts that owners have made to comply with the January 1, 2014 deadline and how owners can report and take advantage of planned regulatory changes that would increase low-use thresholds, allow owners to opt-in to a number of flexibility provisions, amend the "NOx exempt" vehicle provisions, and grant additional time to comply with the PM filter requirements for vehicles operated in certain areas.
Advisory on Extension of Particulate Matter Filter Requirement for Certain Types of Cranes (July 10, 2013)
- Mail-Out 13-17 provides a particulate matter (PM) filter compliance extension for certain types of cranes until January 1, 2018 and explains how compliance is determined when using the extension.
Advisory on Manufacturer Delays (July 9, 2013)
- Mail-Out 13-15 clarifies requirements for the manufacturer delay extension and how compliance is determined when the fleet owner orders equipment four months prior to the compliance deadline.
Letter to Cleaire Customers (February 8, 2013)
- Cleaire Advanced Emission Controls, Incorporated (Cleaire) ceased operations, and a Cleaire Customer Resources page is available to assist affected fleets. The information will be updated as more details become available.