Truck and Bus Regulation
Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation
This page last reviewed September 12, 2014
Background: Amendments Approved in April 2014
The regulation requires diesel trucks and buses that operate in California to be upgraded to reduce emissions. Newer heavier trucks and buses must meet PM filter requiremetns beginning January 1, 2012. Lighter and older heavier trucks must be replaced starting January 1, 2015. By January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will need to have 2010 model year engines or equivalent.
The regulation applies to nearly all privately and federally owned diesel fueled trucks and buses and to privately and publicly owned school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds. The regulation provides a variety of flexibility options tailored to fleets operating low use vehicles, fleets operating in selected vocations like agricultural and construction, and small fleets of three or fewer trucks.
For other information about this regulation, other diesel engine regulations, or training programs, please contact an ARB diesel representative at 866-6DIESEL (866-634-3735) or visit the Truck Stop website. This regulation does not apply to drayage trucks that transport marine containers.
Please sign up to receive email updates at the Truck and Bus Regulation Listserve.
Early Access to Economic Hardship and Agricultural Vehicle Extensions (September 12, 2014)
- Advisory MSC 14-13 provides early access to the economic hardship extension and compliance options for cattle trucks and other agricultural vehicles.
Modified Text of the Truck and Bus Regulation is Available for a 15 Day Public Comment Period (June 30, 2014)
- The 15-Day Notice of Public Availability of Modified Text is now available. These modifications extend the compliance date for the second truck in the small fleet option, revise the new option for fleets that cannot afford to comply, modify the requirements for cattle livestock trucks, and include other minor modifications.
Advisory on Early Access to Certain Approved Amendments (June 27, 2014)
- The Board approved amendments to the Truck and Bus Regulation at its April 2014 meeting. An Advisory has been made available to explain how truck and bus owners can plan for and take advantage of recently approved amendments and describes the steps owners that previously claimed good faith efforts must now take to comply.
Amendments to the Truck and Bus Regulation Planned for April 2014 (March 7, 2014)
- The Air Resources Board will conduct a public meeting on April 24, 2014, in Sacramento, to discuss proposed amendments to the regulation. A brief summary of the proposed changes and information about the rulemaking are available.
Updated Online Reporting Guide (January 17, 2014)
- The Online Reporting Guide has been updated to include instructions on how to opt-in into the Agricultural and Low-Mileage Construction truck extension for the first time.