Fleet Rule for Public Agencies and Utilities - Accelerated Turnover Option
This page last reviewed February 22, 2011
Low-Population Counties and municipalities that have been granted Low-Population County Status may apply to the
ARB to follow the accelerated turnover option. .
By December 31, 2020, municipalities and utilities that follow the accelerated turnover option will be required to "retire" or "repower" all vehicles with 1993 or older model year (MY) engines with 94 or newer MY engines. By December 31, 2025, municipalities and utilities must apply best available control technology (BACT) to all vehicles in the fleet.
"Retire" means the engine is scrapped, converted to a Low-Population County low-usage vehicle (a vehicle operated for less than 3,000 miles or 150 hours on a five year rolling mileage or engine hour average), or sold and operated out-of-state.
"Repower" means to replace the engine in an existing vehicle with another engine.
A municipality or utility that intends to follow the accelerated turnover option must send a letter to ARB notifying ARB of its' intent to follow this option. The letter must be received by ARB prior to July 31, 2008. The following information must be provided in the letter of intent:
- Name and address of agency
- Statement of intent to follow the accelerated turnover option
- Number of vehicles the agency operates
- Number of 1993 or older model year engine vehicles the agency operates
- Signed and dated by a responsible official of the agency
Beginning December 31, 2007, an agency following the accelerated turnover option must maintain records in addition to the fleet vehicle records. The additional records must include:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Retirement date, correlated to VIN
- Engine manufacturer, correlated to VIN
- Engine Model Year (MY), correlated to VIN
- Engine family and series, correlated to VIN
- Date of each engine repower, correlated to VIN
Municipalities or utilities following the accelerated turnover option must label all vehicles with a "Low-Population County" label and an "accelerated turnover vehicle" label, the "accelerated turnover vehicle" label must include the following information:
- Statement that agency is following the accelerated turnover option
- Engine model year
- Planned compliance date
- Statement that vehicle is a Low-Population County vehicle
All records must be maintained and made available to an ARB representative upon request.
Please address letter to:
Chief, Heavy Duty Diesel In-Use Strategies Branch
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, California 95812