Voucher Incentive Program - Retrofit
The retrofit component of the On-Road Voucher Incentive Program (VIP) takes the current criteria of the Carl Moyer On-Road Program and streamlines the requirements for both participants and air districts. By streamlining the guideline requirements, the voucher program provides funding opportunities for fleets with three or fewer vehicles to quickly retrofit their older heavy-duty diesel trucks.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, a fleet must meet all of the Guideline requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
- The fleet is currently compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local air quality rules and regulations;
- The truck must have been owned and operated in California 75% of the time during the previous 2 years (some local requirements may apply);
- The applicant must be an owner of a fleet of three or fewer heavy-duty diesel trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) over 14,000 lbs;
- The truck must have a manufacturer GVWR over 14,000 lbs;
- The owner must not use the retrofitted truck for drayage activities
What can I use my voucher for?
The retrofit must be the highest level technology verified by ARB for use on the engine and be purchased through a participating installer. The retrofit device that achieves the highest level of PM reductions (Level 3: 85 percent reduction) and the highest level NOx reductions is the highest level retrofit. Voucher amounts range from $1,000 to $10,000 and depend on factors such as the miles traveled per year, the fleet size, and the engine model year of the truck.
How do I obtain a voucher?
- Contact a participating retrofit installer to see if funding is available or if local requirements apply.
San Diego County Air Pollution Control District Installers
South Coast Air Quality Management District VIP
Bay Area Air Quality Management District VIP
North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District VIP
- Submit the completed application and required documentation to a participating retrofit installer.
- Once approved, purchase retrofit.