Voucher Incentive Program - Retrofit
The retrofit component of the On-Road Voucher Incentive Program (VIP) takes the current criteria of the Carl Moyer On-Road Program and streamlines the requirements for both participants and air districts. By streamlining the guideline requirements, the voucher program provides funding opportunities for fleets with 10 or fewer vehicles to quickly retrofit their older medium heavy-duty diesel trucks.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, a fleet must meet all of the Guideline requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
- The fleet is currently compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local air quality rules and regulations
- Truck must have been owned and operated in California 75% of the time during the previous 2 years (some local requirements may apply);
- Must be an owner of a fleet of 10 or fewer medium-heavy or heavy-heavy-duty diesel trucks;
- Truck with a manufacturer Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 19,501 - 26,000 lbs.
- Not use the retrofitted truck for drayage activities
What can I use my voucher for?
The retrofit must be the highest level technology verified by ARB for use on the engine and be purchased through a participating installer. The retrofit device that achieves the highest level of PM reductions (Level 3: 85 percent reduction) and the highest level NOx reductions is the highest level retrofit. Voucher amounts range from $5,000 to $10,000 and depend on factors such as the miles traveled per year, the fleet size, and the engine model year of the truck.
How do I obtain a voucher?
- Get an application packet from a participating retrofit installer.
- Submit the completed application and required documentation to a participating retrofit installer.
- Once approved, purchase retrofit.