Truck and Bus Regulation School Bus Menu
Requires: Owners of diesel-fueled school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating greater than 14,000 pounds are required to install diesel particulate filters from 2012 to 2014.
Owners must retire school buses manufactured before April 1, 1977, by January 1, 2012.
Note: School buses that cannot be retrofitted (e.g. 2-stroke engine buses), can delay their compliance until January 1, 2018. Reporting requirements apply until the school bus is brought into compliance. By January 1, 2018, these buses must be replaced, or repowered with an engine that can be retrofited.
- Truck and Bus Regulatory Program website
- School bus provisions fact sheet
- ARB's bus menu page
- School bus financial opportunity page
- Filter installation, maintenance and purchase information website (Exhaust Retrofit Guidance, VDECS)
- School Bus Idling fact sheet
- Instructions to document extension of deadline for unavailability of VDECS
- Cleaire Customer Resources page
- School bus compliance webinar recording (5/23/2013), Questions and answers from webinar