Violations with ARB diesel
programs may result in the following penalties and sanctions:
- Civil penalties ranging from $300 to $10,000 per vehicle
- Collection procedures with additional late fees and
- Liens on real estate or personal property such as
vehicles and other assets.
- ARB may obtain a judgment in superior court and can place
liens on assets.
- A Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Vehicle License
Title Stop (VLT). A DMV VLT Stop will prevent registration, renewal, or
transfer of your vehicle(s).
- At the request of ARB, the California Highway Patrol may
remove the vehicle in violation from service.
- ARB may file with the State Controller a request to
offset any amount due a state agency from a person or entity, against
any amount owing that person or entity by any state agency.
Generally, ARB may file a tax offset request with the Franchise Tax
Board for any amount owed due to unpaid violations.
you have received a citation, a notice will be mailed
within 2-3 weeks. The letter will explain the necessary steps required
to clear the citation. It is important that you follow the instructions
provided to you to avoid any late penalties or further enforcement
If you have questions about the citation, please
contact the appropriate number at the top right corner of the citation
– in general, there will be a check mark next to the listed number.
More information can also be found on the back of a citation regarding
appeal deadlines and procedures.