AS - ASL 94-19: El Monte Guaranteed Return Trip Policy - Attachment
Attachment to ASL 94-19
GUARANTEED RETURN TRIP PROGRAM
The following procedures for the El Monte Guaranteed Return Trip Program
are now in effect and should be implemented immediately.
All ARB El Monte employees are eligible to use the Guaranteed Return Trip
Program under the following conditions. The employee must have:
- Used an Alternative Mode of Transportation (AMT) at least three times
a week. Part-time employees and employees who work adjusted work schedules are eligible providing they utilize
AMTs at least 60% of their weekly work schedule.
- Used an AMT for commuting to work the day of the emergency.
- Not used the Guaranteed Return Trip Program more than four times during
- Obtained supervisory approval to leave work in advance.
- Completed an Emergency Transportation Certification and Registration
Form (Form ASD-164).
ARB El Monte employees may use the Guaranteed Return Trip Program if
they meet the eligibility requirements above and if one or more of the following incidents occur while at work:
- Illness or a serious problem involving an eligible employee, family
member, home or property, or persons residing in the household which requires the employee's immediate personal
- Absence of carpool or van pool vehicle due to its use by the carpool
or vanpool driver who had to leave work unexpectedly to attend to a personal crisis.
- All stranded carpool or vanpool riders must ride together using the
same Guranteed Return Trip Program vehicle.
- Breakdown of carpool or vanpool vehicle without any backup vehicles.
All stranded carpool or vanpool riders must ride together using the same Guaranteed Return Trip Program vehicle.
EL MONTE GUARANTEED RETURN TRIP PROGRAM
To participate in the Guaranteed Return Trip Program, the following steps
must be taken:
- An eligible employee with an emergency must obtain permission from their
supervisor (or from their acting supervisor) prior to leaving work.
- The employee's supervisor will determine whether the employee is eligible
and whether the program use is justified.
- If approved, the employee must fill out Form ASD-164 which is available
through the division administrative coordinator.
- The supervisor will determine the appropriate required action. In making
this decision, the supervisor must consider the following:
- Use of a taxi service for trips within 20 miles. The taxi fare will be reimbursable, with a receipt, on a travel expense
claim or through the "petty cash" funds.
- Use of an ARB fleet vehicle for trips over 20 miles. The supervisor will assist the employee in determining the availability
of an ARB fleet vehicle by contacting the Vehicle Diagnostic and Repair Office (previously referred to as the Vehicle
Coordinator Office). The employee is expected to know the procedures for using an ARB fleet vehicle.
- Use of a Department of General Service (DGS) fleet vehicle when ARB
fleet vehicles are not available. The supervisor will assist
the employee in obtaining a DGS fleet vehicle at he state garage. The employee may use a taxi service to reach
the state garage by following the procedure outlined (1st bullet) above.
- Use of a taxi service for trips over 20 miles when no fleet vehicles
are available. The employee must still follow the procedure
outlined in (1st bullet) above.
- Use of a rental car for trips over 20 miles when appropriate. If the above options are not viable, the supervisor will assist the employee
in acquiring a rental car by using the blue DGS credit card. The employee may use a taxi service to reach the rental
agency by following the procedure outlined (1st bullet) above.
- On the next workday, the supervisor must send one copy of Form ASD-164
to the El Monte ETC and one copy to the division administrative coordinator for record-keeping purposes.
NOTE: If the employee
sustains any personal injury while using the ARB Guaranteed Return Trip Program, the employee is covered under
the provisions of Workers' Compensation Insurance Laws as outlined in SAM Section 2580-2584 & 8538.
If Guaranteed Return Trip Program Procedures are not followed, appropriate
disciplinary action may be taken by the supervisor.
Top of page