SOUTH COAST AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
RULE 1112.1 - EMISSIONS OF PARTICULATE MATTER FROM CEMENT KILNS
(Adopted February 7, 1986)
For the purpose of this rule, the following definitions shall apply:
- Kiln Feed means all materials except fuels entering the kiln, including raw feed and recycle dust, measured
on a dry basis.
- Cement Kiln is a device for the calcining and clinkering of limestone, clay, other raw materials and recycle
dust in the dry-process manufacture of gray cement.
- Clinker is a mass of fused material produced in a cement kiln from which the finished cement is manufactured
by milling and grinding.
- Clinker Cooler is a device for the air-cooling of clinker, into which the clinker is discharged from the cement
No person shall operate a cement kiln and clinker cooler capable of discharging particulate matter into the
atmosphere unless such discharge of particulate matter into the atmosphere from such cement kiln and clinker cooler
when combined is limited to no more than:
- 0.40 pound per ton of kiln feed for kiln feed rates less than 75 tons per hour.
- 30 pounds per hour for kiln feed rates of 75 tons per hour or greater.
(c) Compliance Determination
- For the purposes of this rule, particulate matter emissions from the cement kiln and clinker cooler shall be
measured concurrently and shall be averaged over one hour.
- Measurement of particulate matter emissions from the clinker cooler shall provide for the evaporation and heating
of any impinger solutions at a temperature of at least 800oC for at least 30 minutes prior to weighing.
- Measurement of particulate matter emissions from the cement kiln shall provide for concurrent measurement of
particulate matter emissions and sulfur dioxide emissions. Any measured gaseous sulfur dioxide emissions shall
be excluded from the measurement of particulate matter emissions by subtracting from the mass of material collected
in any impingers a mass equivalent to the amount of measured sulfur dioxide emissions based upon sulfuric acid
Cement kilns and clinker coolers subject to the provisions of this rule shall be exempt from the provisions
of Rule 404 and Rule 405.