Statewide Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP)
This page last reviewed July 1, 2014
Owners or Operators of portable engines and certain other types of equipment
can register their units under the Air Resources Board's (ARB)
Statewide Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP) in order to
operate their equipment throughout California without having to obtain
individual permits from local air districts. The following sections will assist you
with the PERP registration process and present facts on the Portable Diesel Engine
Airborne Toxic Control Measure (ATCM).
IMPORTANT: Please mail all PERP
applications and related items to the address below. Using the the
general P.O. Box for the Air Resources Board or other addresses will
P.O. Box 2038
Sacramento, CA 95812
PORTABLE DIESEL ENGINE AIRBORNE TOXIC CONTROL MEASURE
January 1, 2013, the Portable Engine Airborne Toxic Control
Measure (ATCM) fleet emission standards went into effect. The
owners of portable engines to submit a Fleet Compliance Report to
the Air Resources Board by March 1, 2013. For more information,
click here: Fleet Compliance Reporting.
The next Fleet Compliance Report will be due March 1, 2017.
Changes to Fleets
The ATCM also requires owners to ensure the average PM emission level for their fleet does not fall out of compliance due to changes in the fleet. Owners of portable diesel engine fleets who are adding or removing engines are strongly encouraged to re-calculate their fleet average. Other changes, such as modifying a registration to be low-use or emergency only-use can also affect the fleet emissions average. We recommended that once you have completed the calculator save it and update it any time your portable fleet changes.
- Diesel engine owners submitting applications for PERP registration for the first time must include a Fleet Compliance Report. This includes transfer of existing registrations for engines you have purchased.
- Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the fleet compliance requirements -- or see the contact list at the bottom of this page.
CRITICAL ENGINE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
will be the last day ARB will accept initial registration applications
for Interim Tier 4 engines rated from 175 bhp to 750 bhp.
Effective July 1, 2014
For initial registration into PERP, all diesel engines must meet the following certification tier levels:
- 50 to 74 bhp - Final Tier 4
- 75 to 174 bhp - Interim Tier 4
- 175 to 750 bhp - Final Tier 4
- Over 750 bhp - Interim Tier 4
- Or, for all power categories - Flex engines certified under the flexibility provisions of Federal 40 CFR 1039.625, or CFR 89.102, or California Code of Regulations section 2423 (d).
PERP eligibility requirements take effect six months after the federal
and CARB non-road engine emission standards for engine manufacturers
change -- as shown here: Non-road Diesel Engine Certification Tier Chart (PDF)
Engines on Two-Engine Vehicles
- Two-engine vehicle Frequently Asked Questions
- For further information on two-engine vehicles, see the In-Use Off-Road Diesel Vehicle Regulation homepage.
PERP Application Submittal Options:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- The requirements for portable equipment can be complicated, so we have compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions with answers that may help you with this subject: Portable FAQ document
- Application Forms
- Which Forms to Use
Note: PERP does not accept applications by Fax. Please mail them directly to the address listed on the application forms or renewal invoice.
Recordkeeping and Reporting Forms
Air District Notification
This is for notifying air districts for operation of registered equipment units (not engines).
- Notification is required if an equipment unit (not an engine) will be at a location for more than five days.
- Information and schedule for training courses on the Portable Engine ATCM and other ARB training courses.
List Server and Contact Information
PERP Contact Information
- Zuzana Vona: (916) 323-9688 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dave Brown: (916) 324-1129 email@example.com
- Carol Carlson: (916) 445-1365 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg McMahon: (916) 327-5619 email@example.com
- Jimmy Aguila: (916) 322-5616 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ava Yaghoobirad: (916) 327-5603 email@example.com
- Michele Burkett: (916) 322-6710 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rich Miller: (916) 327-5614 email@example.com
- Kelly Weatherford: (916) 322-4337 firstname.lastname@example.org
- PERP Information Line: (916) 324-5869
- Write to:
ARB / PERP
P.O. Box 2038
Sacramento, CA 95812