1998 Locomotive NOx Fleet Average Emissions Agreement in the South Coast Air Basin
This page last reviewed March 15, 2013
Fleet Average Archives
This page provides historical Fleet Average information and documents previous compliance years. The Locomotive Summary files (available in Microsoft Excel Format, see below) provide the emissions (tier level) associated with every locomotive that visited SCAB in each calendar year. Note that this data is a “snap shot” for a given calendar year's operations, and those locomotives may or may not be operating in SCAB at this point in time. Additionally, certified emission levels are subject to change as locomotives are remanufactured to cleaner, less emitting, emission levels. The Excel files below provide the number of locomotives and megawatt-hours (MWhrs) organized by NOx emission and tier levela. For detailed information on a previous year's fleet average please see the table below
For 2010, both UP and BNSF have demonstrated compliance with the Tier 2 (5.5 g/bhp-hr) locomotive NOx fleet average required by the 1998 Agreement. The links below provide formal correspondence for 2010 compliance between the ARB and UP or BNSF.
- Union Pacific Railroad Approval Letter for 2010 (PDF - 1.3 MB)
- Union Pacific Railroad Approval Letter for ULEL Credit for 2010 (PDF - 1.1 MB)
- Union Pacific Railroad Compliance Report (PDF - 131 KB)
- Union Pacific Railroad ULEL Report for Calendar Years 2006 - 2010 (PDF - 334 KB)
- Union Pacific Railroad 2010 Locomotive Summary (Excel - 134 KB)
- BNSF Railway Approval Letter for 2010 (PDF - 1.1 MB)
- BNSF Railway Approval Letter for ULEL Credit for 2010 (PDF - 1.3 MB)
- BNSF Railway Compliance Report (PDF - 121 KB)
- BNSF ULEL Report for Calendar Years 2008 - 2010 (PDF - 135 KB)
- BNSF Railway 2010 Locomotive Summary (Excel - 49 KB)
a. BNSF and UP have requested that ARB treat the activity (MWhrs) of the individual locomotives as business confidential information. Upon review, ARB staff determined that the information meets the criteria for Trade Secrets as defined in California Government Code 6254.7. Therefore, aggregate information is presented.