SANTA BARBARA COUNTY AIR POLLUTION CONTROL DISTRICT
RULE 312 - OPEN FIRES
(Adopted 10/18/71, 2/23/73, 7/9/73 and 12/5/77, readopted 10/23/78, revised 10/2/90)
A person shall not burn any combustible refuse in any open outdoor fire within the District boundaries except as otherwise provided in these Rules and Regulations.
B. Residential Dry Vegetation Burning
The burning of leaves, weeds, grass clippings, shrubbery and tree prunings (all adequately dried) by occupants of one and two-family dwellings only, within the Northern Zone except in the incorporated cities of Santa Maria and Lompoc, shall be permitted on the premises in open outdoor fires on Permissive Burn Days in the months of February, May, August and November; subject to strict control and issuance of a permit therefor by the public fire protection agency having jurisdiction and subject to applicable Rules and Regulations of Chapter 15 of the Santa Barbara County Code (Fire Protection).
C. Right of Way Burning - Northern Zone
b. Burning shall only be done on "Permissive Burn Days".
c. Burning shall be subject to issuance of permits by and under the control of the Fire Prevention Agency having jurisdiction and subject to applicable Rules and Regulations of Chapter 15 of the Santa Barbara County Code (Fire Protection).
d. Burning will not be conducted in those portions of the Santa Ynez Valley and the San Julian Ranch bounded by:
2) That section of the Fourth Supervisorial District bounded on the North by the township line common to T 7N and T 8N and on the West by the range line common to R 33W and R 34W; exclusive of all areas within the jurisdictional boundaries of the Los Padres National Forest.
D. Fire Hazard - Reduction in High Fire Hazard Areas
Outdoor burning will be permitted in High Fire Hazard Areas designated pursuant to Chapter 15 of the Santa Barbara County Code provided that:
2. All burning shall be conducted in accordance with all applicable provisions of the Santa Barbara County Code and in accordance with all other applicable State and local laws, rules and regulations.
3. No burning shall be permitted during any fire hazard seasons as the same are determined and declared by the County of Santa Barbara Fire Chief.
4. No burning shall be permitted on days when agricultural burning is prohibited by the State Air Resources Board.
5. No burning shall be permitted on days when the Control Officer determines that it is likely that applicable federal primary or State ambient air quality standards are likely to be exceeded in the area concerned, if such burning were to be permitted.
6. No burning shall be permitted on Sundays.
7. Only cuttings from trees, vines or bushes shall be burned on the subject property to eliminate fire hazards, and then only when adequately dried to reduce the smoke level. No other materials or substances may be so burned.
8. Both the Fire Protection Agency and the Control Officer may develop reasonable regulations and impose them as conditions of permits issued hereunder for such burning in order to ensure safety, mitigate air pollution and relieve public agencies from liability.
9. This Rule shall not take effect and the Control Officer shall not approve permits for burning hereunder unless and until this Rule has been approved by the California Air Resources Board.
E. Confiscated Marijuana Burning
Representatives of the County of Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department, in cooperation with other law enforcement agencies, may burn, in the open, marijuana seized in Santa Barbara County, provided that:
2. Burning shall be conducted subject to the strict control and issuance of a permit by the Santa Barbara County Fire Department.
3. Burning shall be confined to the Tajiguas Land Fill.