SOUTH COAST AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
RULE 1159 - NITRIC ACID UNITS - OXIDES OF NITROGEN
(Adopted December 6, 1985)
For purposes of this rule, the following definitions shall apply:
- Nitric Acid Production Unit means any facility producing weak nitric acid by either the pressure or atmospheric
- Weak Nitric Acid means acid which is 30 to 70 percent in strength.
An owner/operator of a nitric acid production unit shall not discharge into the atmosphere any gases which contain
oxides of nitrogen expressed as NO2 in excess of:
- 450 ppm, dry basis, averaged over 15 consecutive minutes.
- 237 ppm, dry basis, averaged over 60 consecutive minutes, or
- 1.5 kilograms per metric ton (3 pounds per ton) of acid produced, averaged over a 60-consecutive-minute period
(the production being expressed as 100 percent nitric acid).