Small Business Benefits from the Green Economy
Chico – September 15, 2010
Dear Small Business Owner,
This is the fifth email in our series that highlights
businesses like yours all across California, that
are cutting costs and supporting the public and private efforts to create a cleaner, more efficient, and more robust economy.
The northern Sacramento Valley area businesses featured below have taken practical, productive and straightforward actions
to save energy, gain customers, and boost their bottom line.
Learn about the specific things you can do as a forward-thinking entrepreneur and small business owner to grow your company in the green economy while cutting costs at the same time. Download a brochure with five easy steps to help you profit from sustainable practices.
Read more about these and other local businesses, just like you, that are benefiting from being at the forefront of California's new sustainable economy.
- Sustainability In Print: Wizard Graphics, now uses twice as much recycled paper than virgin paper. They also use vegetable based inks containing nearly zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and recycle nearly all the waste paper produced by their manufacturing process and office staff.
- Hair-Recycling Salon: SeelaDavid Salon not only recycles the paper and aluminum used throughout the day but also the hair they have cut. They donate longer hairs to “Locks of Love” for cancer patients and shorter hair to “Matter of Trust” to make mats that are used to clean up oil spills and remove oil from birds and animals.
- Cleaner Than Firewood: CleanFlame Firelogs recycles waxed old corrugated cardboard (WOCC) into fire logs and fire starter products. Fire logs produce 86% less creosote, 80% less carbon monoxide, and 50% more heat per pound than oak wood.
- Building Sustainability: Shastan Homes include many sustainable options. The company designs and landscapes homes to use minimal water, uses lumber that comes from certified sustainability managed forests, uses low or no-volatile organic compounds (VOC) paints and finishing products, and offers high-efficiency heating and cooling systems and energy-efficient whole-house fans.
- Reusability In The Bag: ChicoBag™ provides an environmentally friendly and convenient alternative to single use bags. In addition to their rePETe™ brand reusable shopping bags, ChicoBag’s™ corporate operations include a comprehensive office recycling program.
The northern Sacramento Valley has a strong and growing green economy having experienced a 41 percent
increase in green jobs from 1995 to 2008. The Chico area benefited from a 161 percent growth in jobs
related to renewable energy generation, especially solar power and biomass. The Sacramento Valley is the
hot spot for Biomass energy production with employment growth of more than fifty times the state average.
California State University, Chico and Butte College are leading the way in incorporating sustainability
into their curriculum and creating certification programs which will produce a skilled sustainable workforce.
(Next10, Many Shades of Green, 2009)
Thank you for being an entrepreneur in California! Your innovation, drive and commitment to excellence will continue to ensure that California is at the forefront of green economic development and job creation, putting people to work and creating a better world for future generations.
CA Air Resources Board
Learn more about how you can benefit from the Green Economy and other AB 32-related policies:
- California's Clean Energy Future
- Small Business and AB 32
- Small Business Brochure
For questions, please contact Jerry Hart at (916) 324-5941