Timeline of AB 32 Scoping Plan Activities
This page last reviewed September 14, 2016
This page is a comprehensive collection of AB 32 Scoping Plan activities and other relevant information. Below you will find AB 32 Scoping Plan activities beginning with the most current information (at the top). Click on the links below for more detailed information.
2015 / 2016 Schedule
- November 7, 2016: Public Workshop on the 2030 Target Scoping Plan Update: GHG Policy Scenarios, Natural & Working Lands, and Public Health Analysis (List Serve Post)
- Workshop Presentation (coming soon)
- September 14, 2016: Public Workshop on the Transportation Sector to Inform Development of the 2030 Scoping Plan Update (List Serve Post)
- Workshop Presentation
- Biofuel Supply Module
- Land-use White Paper
- Discussion Document: Potential VMT Measures
- August 23, 2016: Public Workshop on the Energy Sector to Inform Development of the 2030 Target Scoping Plan Update (List Serve Post)
- April 27, 2016: Public Workshop on the Agriculture Sector to Inform Development of the 2030 Target Scoping Plan Update (List Serve Post)
- March 23, 2016: Public Workshop on the Natural and Working Lands Sector to Inform Development of the 2030 Target Scoping Plan Update (List Serve Post)
- January 15: Public Workshop on the Scoping Plan Economic Analysis (List Serve Post)
The AB 32 Scoping Plan update defines the California Air Resources Board’s (ARB) climate change priorities for the next five years and lay the groundwork to reach long-term goals. The update also highlights California’s progress toward meeting the near-term 2020 GHG emission reduction goals defined in the initial Scoping Plan.
- May 22: Board approves Final Plan Update (News Release)
- May 15: Released First Update to the Climate Change Scoping Plan, staff’s written responses to comments received on the Draft EA and the Final EA (News Release)
- April 28: Deadline for Public Comments on EA, Draft Proposed First Update and Appendices
- March 14: Released Environmental Analysis (EA)
- Feb. 20: Board Update
- Feb. 10: Released Draft Proposed First Update (News Release)
- Oct. 24: Board Update
- Oct. 15: Public Workshop
- Oct. 1: Release Discussion Draft (News Release)
- June/July: Regional Workshops
- June: Kickoff Public Workshop
In December 2012, staff updated the Board on activities to implement AB 32, including development of the Update to the AB 32 Scoping Plan.
In 2011, ARB held a public workshop and a public hearing on the AB 32 Scoping Plan. The public workshop discussed the supplement to the AB 32 Scoping Plan Functional Equivalent Document (FED). During the public hearing, ARB approved the Functional Equivalent Document (including the Supplement) and the AB 32 Scoping Plan.
- Supplement to the FED (i.e. Supplement to the FED, notice of decision, response to comments, and other documents)
- Comments on the Supplement to the FED
- Public Meetings
- Resolution 11-27
- News Release
In addition, ARB released a Status of Scoping Plan Recommended Measures Sheet
April 2010, ARB held a public meeting to discuss the updated
economic analyses. ARB staff, experts and stakeholders
several economic analyses relating to AB 32. This included an
overview of recent economic studies of the implementation of the AB 32
Scoping Plan and an opportunity for public comment.
In 2009, ARB held a workshop on AB 32 implementation of the
In December 2008, ARB approved the Scoping Plan. The Scoping Plan is the roadmap of how California will reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.
2008, ARB received and posted various types of public comments related
to the development of the AB 32 Scoping Plan document as well as other
AB 32 related activities. Public comments on the Scoping Plan
were welcomed, reviewed and posted in various locations on the
website. Comment submittals include informal comments, formal
letters sent to individual ARB staff, and submissions to ARB’s
electronic public comment docket system.
- Public Comments prior to release of the Draft Scoping Plan Document (includes comments received prior to June 26, 2008)
- Comments on Draft Scoping Plan Document
- Comments on the Proposed Scoping Plan Document
- Comments on the Functional Equivalent Document (FED)
During 2008, ARB held multiple public meetings to share ideas and gain input from stakeholders regarding program development. This also included technical work group meetings, community meetings and other public meetings. All interested stakeholders participated during these meetings.
In August of 2007, ARB staff solicited for public ideas to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
In 2006, Governor Schwarzenegger signs California’s landmark legislation known as the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32). Development of the Scoping Plan is a central requirement of AB 32 that requires California to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.
In 2005, Governor Schwarzenegger signs Executive Order S-3-05 that requires an 80 percent reduction below 1990 levels by 2050.