(Adopted 1/89)

The following applies to open-burning permits:

  1. No person shall knowingly set or permit an open fire for the purpose of agricultural burning or the burning of agricultural waste unless such person has a valid permit for open burning issued by the Air Pollution Control Officer or a Fire Service agency.
  2. Open burning requiring an open-burning permit shall comply with the following:
    1. The applicant shall show that the proposed burn will not violate these Rules and Regulations.
    2. Application or open-burning permits shall be on a form approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer and applicable Forest Service agency.
    3. Application must include the type of waste, and estimate of the amount of waste to be burned and the reason why the burn is necessary.
    4. The burning must be done on the day or days designated by the issuing agency providing said day is a burn day and the burning is in compliance with any restrictions or conditions imposed as a condition of the permit.
  3. Open burning permits issued by Fire Control agencies for air pollution control purposes are limited to the following:
    1. Agricultural burning within their service areas on burn days;
    2. Open burning for the purpose of training in fire fighting providing the Air Pollution Control Officer is notified prior to igniting the fire.
  4. Other than as provided in Section 'c' above, all open burning permits are to be issued by the Air Pollution Control Officer or his authorized representative.
  5. Prior to doing any Agricultural Burning the permittee must first call the Air Pollution Control Office and obtain an Agricultural Burning Allocation. If no allocations are available it is a no-burn day for that permittee.
    1. On weekend and holidays call the Burn-Day Information recording. If it states that it is an agricultural burn day then proceed with desired burn. Then on the first work day of the Air Pollution Control Office, call and report to same what burning took place.
    2. If recording states its a no-burn day for agriculture then no agricultural burning is allowed.
    3. When requesting a burning allocation or reporting acreage burned provide the following information:
      1. Amount of waste or acreage.
      2. Type of crop to be burned.
      3. Location of burn site.
      4. Burning permit number or name of permittee.
  6. All open fires requiring a permit for open burning should be ignited by approved ignition devices.
  7. When the reported amount of agricultural waste being burned amounts to the burning quota as provided by Rule 2.7 (g), the Air Pollution Control Officer may deny any further burning.