Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" motorcycle in California

This page last reviewed January 2, 2014

Motorcycles first sold or intended for sale by their manufacturers for sale outside of the United States are called NON-USA or "Grey Market" motorcycles and are generally prohibited to be used or registered in California. Because of their very high emissions rates, no modification programs are available. Both on and off-highway motorcycles first sold outside the United States are subject to this prohibition.

EXEMPTIONS: On-highway vehicles may be operated by foreign tourists visiting California for less than one year. The vehicle operator cannot qualify as a resident under the California Vehicle Code and the vehicles must have valid registration from a foreign jurisdiction. Operator cannot have a California drivers license and a valid passport and drivers license from the home jurisdiction is required. Valid US vehicle insurance meeting California minimum financial responsibility requirements is required. Visiting vehicles must leave within one year of first entering the US and cannot be sold or offered for sale in California.

Off-highway vehicles owned by visitors to California may be used in most public riding areas with the purchase of a temporary visitor permit. Please visit state parks website for more information.

For More Information

For more information regarding the registration of used OHV's in California, please contact ARB's HELPLINE or call our hotline at (800) 242-4450