Stratospheric Ozone Depletion

This page last reviewed November 12, 2010

Many people want to know about ozone these days, but did you know there are actually two very different kinds of ozone to learn about? Ground-level (or tropospheric) ozone is what we call "smog." The other form of ozone occurs in an upper layer of the atmosphere (called the stratosphere) and protects us from the harmful rays of the sun.

The Air Resources Board continues to look for ways to fight smog by reducing ground-level ozone. Stratospheric ozone, however, is destroyed by certain kinds of chemicals; for example chlorofluorocarbons, or CFCs, that are regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA). For more information, you may wish to go to

A - Z Index