In-Use Heavy-Duty Diesel-Fueled Vehicle Repair Durability Testing Project (RDTP)

This page last reviewed October 14, 2016

Back to Main Page

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I participate in this program?

    If you are interested in participating in the testing project, and want to know more about it, please call 1‑800‑242‑4450.  You can refer to the CARB Participation Questionnaire for additional information.

  2. Will I be compensated for participating in the testing project?

    Yes, you will be compensated for participating.  Truck owners will be given a rental fee based on a competitive weekly rate during the time that your truck is in the testing project.

  3. Who will pay for any repairs that might be done to my truck's emission control systems or engine while it is in the testing project?

    You will not need to pay for these repairs.  They will either be paid for under your truck's warranty or by CARB if your truck is no longer covered under warranty.

  4. Where will my truck be repaired?

    All repair work on your truck will be done at a reputable repair facility.  You will be provided with copies of the repair invoices.

  5. How long will my truck be kept for this testing project?

    Your truck will be kept in the testing project for 2 to 8 weeks.  CARB will let you know how well the emission testing is going by contacting you regularly during this time period.

  6. Is my vehicle insured while it is being tested?

    Yes, your truck will be fully insured by CARB from the time it is picked up at your location to the time it is returned to you.

  7. What kind of testing is performed on my truck?

    There are two types of emission testing that will be performed on your truck.  One type of testing measures exhaust emissions while a truck is on a "chassis dynamometer" inside a laboratory (a chassis dynamometer is like a treadmill for a vehicle).  Another type of testing takes place on a highway in which emissions are measured while the truck is being driven and towing a trailer.

  8. How many miles would be added to my truck?

    This emission testing project will include between 600 and 1,000 miles of driving on both the chassis dynamometer testing and in the laboratory.  Additional mileage may be added during transport to and from CARB's Haagen-Smit Laboratory in El Monte, CA, and CARB's other testing laboratory near downtown Los Angeles, CA.

  9. When do I get my rental check?

    The rental check will be issued to the owner on a weekly basis.  When CARB returns an owner's truck, the truck will be washed and completely refuelled (including DEF, if applicable), then returned to the owner.

  10. What if I don't want to participate?

    Participating in this emission testing project is completely voluntary.  It is not required for compliance with any CARB emission regulations.

Back to Main Page